From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:24:17 -0600
Subject:        FW: Encyclopaedia of World Gazetteers
Date:   Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:53:59 -0000
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps-L' <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     <[log in to unmask]>

Having forwarded, on Saturday morning, Brendan Whyte's posting to the
UK-based 'Lis-maps' a helpful response has been posted today (Monday)
morning by my ex-Geological Society of London's map librarian, Wendy
Cawthorne. Another response was from a disgruntled BAS [British
Antarctic Survey] person - "Wot, no Antarctica? Plenty Gazetteers for
that!" - but maybe both polar regions are subsumed under 'Northern
Europe' and 'Oceania' or similar?

Critical reviews of this gazetteer set might make 'interesting' reading
. . .
Francis Herbert (ex-Curator of Maps [and gazetteers], RGS-IBG)