Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 08:54:39 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map Database / Reference Resources?
Date:   Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:07:12 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Some of this really depends on what you are looking for, whether earlier
cartographic materials or other types of sources. The initial query
seemed to leave this wide open. What sort of collections, articles,
etc.? What sort of databases (image, bibliographic, etc.)?

I would strongly suggest looking at Tony Campell's Map History site:
http://www.maphistory.info/ . In terms of early images, he lists quite a
few sites, some more useful than others in terms of linking
cartobibliographic descriptions to images:
http://www.maphistory.info/webimages.html . As to "relevant journal
articles" I would again wonder about narrowing the query, but there is
the journals page for the History of Cartography:
http://www.maphistory.info/journals.html . As to a more recently
reported GIS Gateway: http://www.his-gis.net/ .

These are just a few.

             Joel Kovarsky