From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:58:25 -0500
Subject:        Re: Baltimore mapfest
Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:12:35 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Made it to the Baltimore mapfest this weekend. The 110 degree heat/humidity
index did not make this a pleasant time to walk around B'more. I spent less
than 30 minutes in Fells Point Sunday afternoon, and cabbed it back up to
Penn Station for my very early  train back to cool 98 degree Manhattan.

The Enoch Pratt Free Library, one of many participants in the Baltimore
mapfest,  had a hallway exhibit on the 3rd floor, up the "broken elevator"
staircase. It seemed a half-hearted attempt to participate in the mapfest.
Many maps had no labels, and it was a mix of things like a map of Fairyland
[a classic, yes...and also in the Walters show] and a fabulous wall map
bird's-eye-view of Baltimore. Sorry, I was so hot and tired I took no
notes! The mix of old and new and facsimiles, and labels from previous
exhibitions did not pull one into the maps. Some labels aimed at children
were in cases probably too high for lots of kids to see. I was saddened, as
it felt as if the lack of a dedicated curator resulted in the dissatisfying
result. However, we ran into this in Chicago with a couple of institutions
that seemed to just chuck maps in a case and be "participants" in the
mapfest.

The Walters exhibition was crowded, as it was the last day. Many of the
maps were familiar friends from Chicago. Many of the cases could have
benefitted from labels on four sides, which would have facilitated movement
in the crowded narrow hallway galleries.  In the exhibition I had fun with
the WWI aero chart in the metallic scroll case. Loved the initiative to
design this thing, which looks clunky today, but at the time was a solution
sorts for early aeroplane pilots and their wayfinding needs. Again I was
amazed at the 1" Isidore of Seville T/O map, and the wildly hot colors of
the Leardo map. No facsimile has ever done it justice. I laughed out loud
at the Arpanet 1982 map, paired with Lumeta Corporation's 2007 web map. The
Civil War in 4 minutes map-in-motion was a hoot, and caused lots of comment
among its audience as I stood listening in. I was surprised again at how
large the map of the Ioways territory is, and how small the Lewis & Clark.
There is something very moving about the Forma Urbis Romae, just a few
stone fragments from a huge literal wall map of Rome from 203-211 CE. One
longs for the missing pieces to be there, to fill in the gaps, to reveal
the skill and informatin left by the engraver. Not to be.  Upstairs, the
monster Atlas of the Great Elector was probably in the only room in the
Walters that could compete with it--a wonderful room of wonders, filled
with treasures from nature, art and world cultures that fascinated those in
Europe who did not travel to the Indies, East or West! What a setting, I
was drawn to the cases filled with shells, insects, jewelry, gold,
miniatures, paintings, etc., etc. Believe me, the Elector had competition.
Lastly the final item in the show was a very tiny facsimile of a Vermeer
painting, with a large facsimile of the same Netherlands map portrayed in
the painting. As I passed by a Dad was explaining the point of the thing to
his little son, who wasn't with the program. Dad tried, son was ready to
go!   The shop had globes on sale for 50% off, natch. The exhibition book
was sold out, a good sign.There were lots of carto thingies for sale,
expensive maps glued to glass in the form of platters, stationery and
bookplates, plus facsimiles of maps in the exhbition, including a wonderful
Leo Belgicus, which I regret not buying now. Of course. But I did find a
wonderful compass rose pin/necklace. Jewelry always works for me.

The book will be a wonderful keepsake of this tremendous multi-city event
which all of us mapnerds celebrate.  I do wish I had had the time and
inclination to hang out and record the comments and questions of
non-mapnerds as they pushed thru the exhibition. I hope someone did, it
would make a great paper on map awareness, appreciation in this country. I
do wonder if written comments were collected at either show, did not see
any opportunity to leave same in Baltimore. Those too would be helpful in
our understanding of their [non-mapnerds] understanding of what they had
just witnessed.

Congratulations to McCarter, Nebenzahl, Woodward, Akerman and Karrow, et.
al., for this gift to us. I loved it all.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, The Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask], 212-930-0589, fax 212-930-0027

Hours: 1-7:30 Tu & Wed, 1-6 Thurs-Sat.    Closed Sun, Mon.

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

         Re: Baltimore mapfest

         Angie Cope
                     to:
                       MAPS-L
                                                              06/10/2008 10:00 AM

         Sent by:
               "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"
        Please respond to "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"