From:
"Randall E. Flynn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 09:23:00 EST
Announcement of New Service:

The Defense Mapping Agency, in collaboration with the U.S. Board on
Geographic Names (BGN), is making its holdings of foreign geographic
names information available on the Internet World Wide Web.  These
holdings have been used in the publication of the series of DMA/BGN
gazetteers of foreign areas, and comprise over 4 million records.

This new service is called the GEOnet Names Server.  Its Internet URL
is http://164.214.2.6/ and it can be accessed with any WWW browser
that supports forms, such as Mosaic or Netscape.  For a limited time
users can access the GEOnet using "guest" as the user ID and password
(omit the quotes).  Use of the system is currently free of charge.

The service is still in its prototype stage, but we encourage you to
use the system, apply for an account, and provide us suggestions for
improvement.  I've noted the number of postings to this list
requesting place name information; it's my hope that the GEOnet Names
Server can begin to fill a much needed niche in access to geographic
information.

For further information, please contact me at the e-mail address
listed below.
Name: Randy Flynn
DMA Geographer
E-mail: [log in to unmask] (Randall E. Flynn)
01/31/95
18:19:04