From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:01:15 -0600
Subject:        Re: Use of Google Earth to visualize data
Date:   Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:57:11 -0800
From:   Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

It looks like most of your data consists of vectors and polygon data.
If you have the original data in a common format such as SHP, there are
several ways of converting it to KML, which can then be used in Google
Earth.  The least expensive method is probably to use  MapWindow (free)
with the Shape2Earth plugin ($30).  This will let you import SHP files,
color code polygons based on different criteria, display attribute data
in the pop up balloons, and convert the whole thing very easily to
Google Earth, all with very little technical knowledge required.

You might run into problems if an individual data set creates KMZ files
(compressed KML) that are more than 3 or 4 megabytes since Google Earth
must load the entire dataset into memory.

You should also look into the Google Earth Plugin API, which essentially
lets you use Google Earth in a browser window instead of a standalone
application.  Earth Atlas is an excellent example of this in action
(http://www.earthatlas.info/) and would probably fit your needs
perfectly.  I believe the author of EarthAtlas released his code as open
source.  I would definitely recommend this over Google Maps.  Something
like EarthAtlas could easily aggregate data from different servers at
dozens of different libraries.

Raster data is handled completely different than vector/polygon data.
Doesn't look like you have any raster data on your website, so I won't
go into too much detail on how to convert raster data.  I'm actually in
the process right now of converting all 60,000 or so USGS 7 1/2'
topographic maps to KML so they can be easily viewed with Google Earth
(http://www.historicmapdvds.com/cart/).  If you do plan on adding raster
data, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

I've converted all kinds of data sets to Google Earth.  Feel free to
contact me directly if you have any specific technical questions.

Matt Fox