From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:29:41 -0400
Subject:        OT: September Project
Date:   Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:54:04 -0500
From:   Treaty Oak <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Maps-L Subscribers:

Being a for-profit member of the list, I am glad to be able to forward a
non-profit message for once!  I'm posting this because the
organizers were unaware of Maps-L, and apparently the majority of the
participating organizations are libraries.  My apologies if you have
seen this before.

There is a flyer about the event that I can provide upon request
(although you can probably find it on the web site).

Best regards,

Tara Shadowen

Treaty Oak Map Distributor

The September Project
   www.theseptemberproject.org <http://www.theseptemberproject.org>

   The September Project is an effort to foster open
   exchanges in public
   places about issues that matter.  On Saturday,
   September 11, people will
   share ideas about democracy, citizenship, and
   patriotism.  Locally
   organized, libraries, schools, and organizations
   will host talks,
   deliberations, and performances about issues that
   matter to their
   communities.  September Project events are
   distributed nationally and
   internationally and are free and open to the people.
    September Project
   events take place annually.

   The project launched in March, 2004.  In the US, as
   of August 12, 2004,
   252 libraries in 40 states are participating, with
   new libraries and often
   entire library systems joining daily. Participating
   libraries include:
   urban, small, and rural public libraries; primary
   and secondary school
   libraries; college, community college, and
   university libraries;
   bookmobile libraries for youth, elderly, and people
   with physical,
   hearing, and visual disabilities; seminary
   libraries; juvenile hall
   libraries; and domestic and overseas US military
   base libraries. Public
   libraries serve as the infrastructure because they
   are free, they are
   public, and they are distributed across our country
   and most countries.
   Events will also occur in civic spaces like schools,
   universities,
   museums, jails, parks, and farmer's markets.

   The September Project is beyond borders.  Spain's El
   Proyecto Septiembre
   (http://septiembre.ciberpunk.org) has coordinated
   events in six cities:
   Granada, Len, Madrid, Melilla, Valencia, and
   Zaragoza.  Portugal's O
   Projecto Setembro (http://setembro.ciberpunk.org)
   has planned an event in
   Lisbon.  In Venezuela, events are planned for
   Caracas and Maracay; in
   Australia, the University of Sydney has joined; in
   the Netherlands, the
   University of Nijmegen and the Cultural Centre for
   the Arts Lux are
   hosting a public conference.  We are in contact with
   folks interested in
   hosting similar events on September 11 in Canada,
   Chile, Germany, Hong
   Kong, Italy, Mexico, and Uruguay. International
   hosts are planning events
   that focus on issues that matter to them.  For
   example, events in Spain
   will address democracy and citizenship, but also
   provide forums on civil
   liberties, immigration, and March 11th.  The Dutch
   conference will focus
   on the relationship between art and culture and
   9-11, paying special
   attention to creative forms of political expression.

   We've created a MAP! Please visit:
   http://www.com.washington.edu/september/map.asp
   We suggest you bookmark it, since it changes daily.

   The September Project's goal is 1000s of public
   spheres taking place
   around the world on Saturday, September 11, 2004,
   and every September 11th
   thereafter.

   CONTACT: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>