From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 14:48:31 EST
Two messages.--------------------------Johnnie

---------------------------------

      Thu, 9 Dec 1993 07:53 MST
      DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
         cataloging electronic maps

>Not having much experience in cataloging has lead me to talk with
>a few librarians here at OSU and they have shown me the OCLC
>computer files format and maps format.  While these appear to
>work well there is a lot of metadata that can only be entered
>in the 500 fields which are hard to search.  I realize that
>this is only one system of cataloging, but are there better
>systems that are specific to the cataloging of electronic
>maps?

Clint Matthews

Clint,
     I suggest you are considering using a generic based application (OCLC)
for a highly specific need.  That is comparable to using a 4-function
calculator in a Calculus class.  You need something which allows searching of
what in essence is a full text database.  May I suggest looking at
FolioViews.  In addition to full text searching, they allow inter-linking of
records based on patterns determined and set by the user.  I will be going to
a meeting next week looking at the potential of applying FolioViews to a
technical library at which I consult.  We are considering using it for the
map bibliographic database.  It will allow us to define full MARC records
(keep us catalogers happy) but still have the flexibility of searching the
text WE want.  Also the database will be housed locally which allows some
local decisions which would be impossible in a shared database like OCLC.  I
will be happy to pass on further information about FolioViews if you like.

     By the way, the consideration of using full MARC records is based on the
flexibility that provides if a desire ever arises to migrate to a MARC based
system.  Conversion will be easier.

              [log in to unmask] (Pat Allen)
         Re: cataloging electronic maps
      Thu, 9 Dec 93 10:10:51 EST

I have become involved in a similar project here at Purdue University.
The people in agriculture here are setting up an archive of spatial data
sets to be used by county extension agents, state agencies, and no telling
who else.  Apparently there are hundreds of data sets archived - some from
research projects, some obtained from government sources with value added,
some that go with graduate theses and dissertations - and many of them have
little in comman.  We are looking at a standard "description form" to be
completed by the "owner" of each data set.  These forms might then be
incorporated into a gopher or x-mosaic document to allow people to find
and use things.  In many cases the data sets do not have any added
descriptive information - and to find out what is in there requires using
a gis to go in and look at appropriate descriptors for what is actually in
there.  I do not know of many librarians who have the time or expertise to
do this job in an acceptable amount of time (immediately! or shortly
thereafter) - so the gopher/x-mosaic document is a quick fix.  This sort of
cuts the library out of the picture, but at least they asked me to be on the
committee and help organize whatever system gets developed.

Pat Allen
Purdue University