From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:32:46 -0400
Marlena Wald, Research Director for Emergency Medicine at Emory
University's School of Medicine asked me to post this request for
information to the list for her.  She is not an subscriber to the list
so either send your responses to her or to the list.  I will forward to
her any responses sent to the list.
Johnnie Sutherland, Maps-L Moderator

     The Department of Emergency Medicine at Emory University, in
partnership with the E.M.S. staff of Grady Memorial Hospital and the
Fulton County 911 system, are currently analyzing 911 call data to
trace which highway and road intersections appear to have frequent
motor vehicle crashes requiring EMS assistance and hospitalization.
     County and city officials are very interested in utilizing the 911
data for a GIS analysis.  The goal of the study will be to improve
public safty by adding traffic signs at key intersections or by
altering environmental conditions at those locations.
     As a Department, we are new users of ArcView and GIS techniques.
We would be very interested in hearing from the Maps-L group as to
other traffic safety projects like this.  An initial search of Medline
& HealthStar produced a small set of less than 20 citations.  If any of
you are working on similar projects, or if you are published in the
area, I would be very interested in talking or corresponding with you.
Sincerely,

Marlena Wald
Research Director
Emergency Medicine