From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:20:41 EST
3 messages.---Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:35:23 -0500 (EST)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Cheryl Woods)
>Subject: Map implicated in ski lift disaster

My understanding was that this same type of accident had happened a few
years earlier and killed 40 people. If so, surely they should have learned
from that mistake and not have to blame it on maps.

 Cheryl Woods
 Map Curator                                       tel: 519-661-3424
 Serge A. Sauer Map Library, SSC 1051              fax: 519-661-3750
 University of Western Ontario                     [log in to unmask]
 London, Canada  N6A 5C2

>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:59:29 -0500
>From: Stephen Baig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Map implicated in ski lift disaster

Prof. Hanley is correct.

There is a long-standing tradition of "flat-hatting" amongst military
pilots.  That's the descriptive term used for flying so low that the hats
of the eaarthbound are flattened.  Any military pilot who professes not to
know the term is either lying or a damned poor (military) flyer.

At 10:39 AM 19-02-98 EST, you wrote:
>4 messages.-----------Johnnie

>>From: Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Maps implicated in ski lift disaster
>>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:24:44 -0800 (PST)
>

>Debra Natsios posted the New York Times story regarding
>the Italian ski lift disaster caused by a U.S. military
>plane hitting the cable.
>The story, as it appeared in my local paper, indicated that
>the military were using a TPC. This made me check our TPC's
>to see how the area appears.
>According to the 1956 US Board on Geographic Names gazetteer,
>the coordinates should be 46 17 N and 11 27 E. This area is
>on TPC F-2B (I'm working from memory here, but I think it's
>the one). A lot of aerial cables are indicated in the mts.
>there, but I wasn't able to find the town, Cavalese, and
>the mountain, Cermis, isn't in the gazetteer.
>I haven't had time to plow through our 1:250,000 Italy topos.
>Has anyone else checked out this location?
>
>Sue Haffner
>Map Library
>CSU Fresno

>>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:06:21 -0500 (EST)
>>From: [log in to unmask] (Tom Hanley)
>>Subject: Re: maps implicated in ski lift disaster
>

>So, no one's to blame?  Hadn't there been complaints from previous flights?
>Do pilots get a wild hair up and do low level flying on the whim of the
>moment?  Didn't pilots talk to each other?  Sounds to me like poor
>judgement and lack of oversight rather than the maps are the main culprit
>here.
>
>Tom Hanley, Professor of Geology
>Department of Chemistry and Geology
>Columbus State University
>4225 University Avenue
>Columbus, GA 31907-5645
>Phone - 706-568-2074; FAX 706-569-3133

>>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:15:13 -0500
>>From: Stephen Baig <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: maps implicated in ski lift disaster
>

>Regardless of the stupid attempt by NY Times et al. to shift the blame from
>the aircrew the stunt known a "flat-hatting" is privately well known if
>publically poorly acknowledged amongst armed services aviators of all
>countries.
>

>At 04:01 PM 18-02-98 EST, you wrote:

didn't mean to play the provocateur regarding
NYT story by 'implicating' maps.

indeed, as suggested by tom and stephen,
maps the least of pilot's problems.

to wit, NYT article cites, among other infractions
(these also committed on earlier occasions
by both Italian air force and NATO flights,
repeated civilian complaints brought no relief):

1  pilot violating orders to fly 1,000 ft above ground
2  pilot off course, off limits
3  possible joy riding at 540 mph,
    although captain had no reputation as cowboy