From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:06:01 EST
Dear all,

Over the past few years, I have made a number of journeys around Europe (and
occasionally a bit further) by air. And, in so doing, have sampled a number
of airlines, and have started to build up a wee collection of "in-flight"
magazines from airlines around the world. One of the things that interests
me greatly is the diversity of maps presented in these magazines. Some are
of considerable cartographic quality, while others in my opinion barely
merit the name "map" at all.

My reason for posting is two-fold:

Firstly, does anyone out there know if any systematic/comparative study of
airline route maps, as presented in in-flight magazines, has ever been carried
out? If so, I would much appreciate pointers to literature citations, etc.

Secondly, if any of you are planning on making a journey by air in the next
two months (i.e. February - March) and could be persuaded to send me a copy
of the current freebie take-away-with-you magazine (normally located in the
pocket of the seat in front of you when you board the plane, unless someone
else has got to it first!), I would be very grateful indeed. I know I could
try writing to all the airlines direct, but I am hoping that the Wonderful
Internet will prove not only cheaper, but also much more efficient at getting
a pan-global "trawl" of examples.

I have the current Aer Lingus and British Airways offerings, but would much
welcome those of ANY other airline - particularly "national" airlines - from
around the world.

IF I have time - and partly depending on replies to the first question
above - I would quite enjoy doing a comparison of the maps simply to indulge
my own curiosity; and, if I have even more time, I would like to explore the
possible use of such a collection as the basis for a student exercise in map
editing and criticism (as well as possibly trying to get my students to
compile their own maps as a practical exercise....  :-).

Thanks

Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography
University College