From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:14:10 -0500
Subject:        RE: Re: cataloging digital reproductions of various kinds;
yes, volunteers welcome
Date:   Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:51:13 +0200
From:   Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     <[log in to unmask]>

As far as procedures in The Netherlands are concerned there is one record for those materials (independent of whether they are books, journals, cartographic materials, etc.) when they are reproduced from an original. Specifics can be mentioned either in a double SMD-field or in a local field. This question not only applies to digitally reproduced items, but also to microforms.

The problem lies with the GMD, which can only have one designation in the appropriate MARC-field. Untill this is solved I think one should give priority to designating the oldest form in existence.
When there is an analogue form and a digital-born form, then two descriptions are needed.

The question is not so much as to what librarians want, but what a user finds him/herself most comfortable with when using a library-catalogue. So solutions should be directed to what catalogue procedures are capable of and what clients like to see. Remember the one-stop-shop adagio.

Jan Smits
Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The Netherlands