From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:10:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: World Mapping Project information request]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:40:40 -0600
From: Quimera Editores <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The World Mapping Project (WMP) was initiated by Nils Robert Meyer. He
started out in the 1990s in Hamburg with a company called Abera Verlag,
which he sold to start his ambitious project of doing new maps of
tourist destinations, all with a the same style and symbols. He founded
Ray Map House and developed his idea of a worldwide Map Alliance. His
example was ITMB (Vancouver, Canada), but he was not satisfied neither
with the too many different mapping styles nor with the very different
quality of the maps (e.g. the acceptable Canadian maps in comparison to
the very weak Africa titles). His first map was of Namibia which he
personally elaborated with help of a GPS system on location.

Quimera worked with him on the Mexico 1:2,225,000 the WMP published in
2001, updating and proof-checking. We also agreed that Quimera be
exclusive WMP map distributor for Mexico.
Nils passed away in December 2001 at the age of 28 (another example
that smoking DOES kill: he died of a heart attack).

After his death we lost track of the company. Several projects were
planned in cooperation between Quimera and the WMP, but as everything
was negotiated with Nils personally we think his "heirs" didn't know
about them. We had no means of contacting the company as all e-mail
addresses and websites disappeared at the beginning of 2002, and phone
calls were not answered.

I saw the WMP maps under Rough Guides cover last week when I attended
the Macromedia MAX 2003 conference in Salt Lake City, UT. I was VERY
surprised to find the maps again after almost 3 years of absence of the
cartography. The Mexico map hasn't been updated, though - even the
"old" error of calling depth curves "isohypse" still is in the legend.

If anyone has information on how to contact the producers of the maps,
please send it to me: <[log in to unmask]>

Kind regards,
Roland
Roland W. Hardt

Quimera Editores
- Mexico's leading Travel Map and Guide Publisher
http://www.quimeramx.com