Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:37:26 -0500
Subject:        Re: RFID tags on maps
Date:   Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:36:57 -0400
From:   Stacey D. Maples <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

For those who are not opposed to placing indelible, traceable
identifying marks upon objects, the idea of printing barcodes directly
upon items may be of interest.  Perhaps we could hear some of the pros &
cons of this from the group?  Here is the list I can think of, off the
top of my head:

Why NOT print directly on the object, rather than an encapsulation
and/or adhesive label?
- Indelible marks may reduce the value of the object (though, we are
talking about library holdings, rather than investments, right? ;-))
-There is not currently a means of printing directly on objects, short
of high-end (and high-cost) industrial direct-marking systems.
-Preservation-quality inks may or may not be available for this application.
-Few, if any, precedents.
-That queasy feeling you get when you permanently alter the fabric of an
historically significant object...

Why print directly on the object, rather than an adhesive label?
-Difficult to obliterate/remove for purpose of deceit.
-does away with that annoying "Stapled Corner" effect when stacking
sheets that have adhesive labels in a standardized location (more of an
issue for similarly sized maps/series), which can become a storage issue.
-negates the need for encapsulation, which can become a serious
weight/storage issue
-Provides automated, scalable & integrated means of tracking through
processes (acquisition>cataloging>digitization>access, etc...).
-Reduces human error in entry of tracking info.
-Produces that queasy feeling you get when you permanently alter the
fabric of an historically significant object... (in elementary school, I
was addicted to leaning too far back in my chair).

OK, there is my little opening salvo into the flame-war that is likely
to ensue...

Finally, on this subject, I recently stumbled upon this prototype
product that seems to have been shelved by both the company that
developed it, and the Connecticut company that licensed it for production:

http://www.printdreams.com/inside/printbrush.html

Perhaps enough pressure could be placed upon the company that they might
revisit the idea.  Perhaps if we could come up with some sort of
homeland security application for the item, in addition to our own use?

Alternatively, if there are any hardware hackers out there who could
create a similar item...

In F, L & T,
Stacey D. Maples

Yale University Map Collection
Sterling Memorial Library 7th Floor
130 Wall Street /P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
P:203-432-8269 F:203-432-8240
www.library.yale.edu/maps

"I have a map of the United States... actual size.
        It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
                I spent last summer folding it."
                                -Steven Wright-