From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:27:58 -0500
Subject:        Library of Congress Authority Records and Map Collecting
Date:   Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:57:05 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>

CC:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

For a number of reasons, I was recently searching the University of
Virginia for items related to "map collecting." While I never expected
the list to be close to those linked to the subject of "book
collecting," I was a little surprised when the number for the former was
"0", and the number for the latter exceeded 600. Then I went to the LC
Authority Records, now suspicious of what I would find, and again,
nothing for "map collecting," while there were nearly 300 subheadings on
variations of "book collecting."

While I understand how this has happened over the years, it strikes me
as something that could use some form of correction. Maybe a few topical
authority records for "map collecting"? Since a number of people on this
list are involved with such things, I thought it worth mentioning. I
also posted this to the Maps-L list.

          Joel Kovarsky