From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:26:42 -0500
Subject:        Re: A.E. Mathews Civil War map maker
Date:   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:07:58 -0400
From:   Boris Michev <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Nancy,

We have three of Matthews' maps in our collection
(all facsimiles): Virginia City (1868); San Diego
(1873), and Los Angeles (1873). You can also find
a digital copy of the San Diego map at
http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/tf6t1nb77w/
and a digital copy of his Santa Barbara map at
http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/tf009nb2dz/.
Let me know if you are interested in our three
maps and if so, we'll work something out.

Boris

At 02:19 PM 9/11/2009, you wrote:
>Nancy,
>
>I noticed that you have a birth day of 1881 for Mathews. Did you mean 1831?
>
>I found a authority record in OCLC that gives dates of birth and death
>for someone from Canyon City, Colorado of: Mathews, Alfred Edward, 1831-1874
>
>More from the authority record:
>
>WWWAm, hist. vol.  (Mathews, Alfred E.; b. 1831, Bristol, England;
>brought to U.S. 1833; d. 1874, Longmont, Colo.; artist)
>
>Canyon City, Colorado, and its surroundings, 1870: t.p. (A.E. Mathews)
>
>His Interesting narrative, 1861.
>
>Angie
>AGSL UWM
>
>Nancy P. Masimer wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am interested in finding information on
>>Alfred E, Mathews, born June 12, 1881 in
>>Bristol, England.  He came to the United States
>>at the age of 13 and later became a map maker
>>during the Civil War.  He had volunteered in
>>the 31st. Ohio Regiment Vols. under Col. Moses
>>Walker. His maps received commendation for
>>their accuracy for Generals Grant, Sherman, Logan and more.
>>
>>I am looking for his maps.  It does not have to
>>be the real thing, just something that I can look at.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Nancy Masimer
>>

>>Royal Gorge Regional Museum and History Center
>>612 Royal Gorge Boulevard
>>P.O. Box 1460
>>Caņon City, Colorado  81212

Boris Michev
Maps and Geospatial Information Librarian
Cornell University Library
B16 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14850