From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 17:22:23 EDT
3 messages.----------------------------Johnnie

>Date:   Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:55:09 -1000
>From:   Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Curled Aerial Photos

Greetings,
Last year we began transferring a large number of our aerial
photograph collection from old Kodak paper boxes to new custom-
made, acid-free dropfront boxes (10.25"x10.25"x3").  Filling the
boxes completely with photos helped prevent them from curling,
but for the few boxes that were not totally filled, we inserted
what the manufacturer calls "document spacers".  These are
simply pre-scored acid-free board stock, bent to shape, and
placed inside the box to take up the free space.

The boxes are stored vertically in standard file cabinets. The
dropfront design of the boxes makes it very easy to retrieve
photos.  If anyone has questions, please feel free to contact
me for details.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection    [log in to unmask]

                             spam....yummmmm.

>Subject: Re: Curled Aerial Photos
>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 15:37:13 -0700
>From: [log in to unmask]

Number-one way to deal with this: correct humidity; the reason the photos curl
is that the emulsion and the base take up/give off water at different rates, and
if they curl, your air may be too dry (that's my educated-by-experience guess).
The Map and Imagery Lab keeps humidity at 50%, although the recommendations I've
seen lately are for 20%.
Mary Larsgaard
UCSB

>From: Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Curled Aerial Photos
>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

When I responded to the request for ideas on
how to store aerial photos, I assumed that the
requestor had the large format photos. But if
he has the 9 x 9 size, they can easily be
stored upright in archival-type boxes, or
even in envelopes in a filing cabinet.

Sue Haffner
CSU Fresno