Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:39:02 -0500
Subject:        Re: Mapping Mannahatta The New Yorker
Date:   Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:19:04 -0600
From:   Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Maps-L wrote:
> http://www.newyorker.com/online/2007/10/01/slideshow_071001_maps
> This is currently on The New Yorker Website, for the 10/1 issue. There
> is a nice slide show (11 slides).
> Mapping Mannahatta
>    October 1, 2007
> In this week’s issue, Nick Paumgarten writes about Eric Sanderson, a
> landscape ecologist at the Wildlife Conservation Society who is trying
> to determine exactly how Manhattan—or Mannahatta, “land of many hills,”
> as some scholars have translated the name used by the Lenape people who
> inhabited it—looked before the arrival of Europeans. The project is set
> for completion in 2009, the quadricentennial of Henry Hudson’s 1609
> visit to the island, and will include a coffee-table book, interactive
> exhibits, a series of printed street guides, and a three-dimensional
> virtual re-creation. Here is a portfolio of images from the project thus
> far, including the maps that inspired it and new computer-generated
> illustrations of the hills and forests that once covered the island.
>
>    To learn more about the project, visit www.wcs.org/mannahatta.

  This is a cool project, done by one of my users, Mark Boyer, using our Visual Nature
Studio product ( http://3dnature.com/vnsinfo.html )

  Another image from the same project is here:
http://www.3dnworld.com/gallery.php?user=MBoyer

  An article about it ran in Wired issue 13.05:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/start.html?pg=8

  It looked a lot better in the printed centerfold version.

--
     Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
 "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,