From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:06:23 -0500
Subject: Re: counter-maps and map collections/libraries
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:39:04 -0400
From: Peter Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
To: mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

Brendan:

Thanks for your thoughts on the definition which I posted.  Your
comments indicate that it's important to distinguish between the work
of professional/academic cartographers and geographers engaged in a
theoretically informed critical cartography and the products of
communities, activists, etc. that are designed to serve more immediate
political needs (and perhaps a third, very distinct, category for the
Wizard, http://www.wizard.gen.nz/).  Plus, there is the question of
when does a counter-map cease to be a "counter" and instead becomes
the artifact to be countered that is suggested by your noting the
commercialization of certain forms of oppositional mapping.

I imagine that Australia does have a very rich history of indigenous
mapping, and that is something I should investigate further.

Peter