From:
Maps-L Moderator for Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:55:44 -0500
Subject:        Fwd: Site about Cahill's Butterfuly [Butterfly] map
Date:   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:58:02 -0000
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Discussion group for map history' <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     'A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship'
<[log in to unmask]>, 'Maps-L' <[log in to unmask]>

There could be something of interest to all three internet discussion
lists – to which, with no apologies, this is posted - in the message of
17 March originally addressed to Tony Campbell (see below) for his ‘Map
History’ gateway site [http://www.maphistory.info/].

As one explanation for delay in my re-posting of Gene Keyes’ message I
had first to contact Prof. Harry Steward FRGS (a Briton sometime
teaching at Clark University, Worcester MA’s, Graduate School of
Geography) in order to discover what was the progress of presentation
(or of publication) of his own researches into Cahill. (See his entry in
‘D9’ of 1998 that includes “map projection and geosophical interests of
Bernard Cahill . . .”). Part of Prof. Steward’s to me reply on 22 March
was –

“I contacted Gene Keyes and had an amiable reply, and we have agreed on
further correspondence. I’m now disinterring/re-absorbing my Cahill
material; including two draft articles which never got offered for
publication [. . .] Mr. Keyes and I overlap but don’t coincide. My
preliminary title was “Bernard J. Cahill: The Butterfly Map and
Cartographic Geosophy”: a bit different from his thrust.”

There is a considerable amount of Cahill correspondence – with exemplars
(some annotated in MS) of his printed works - in the Archives Collection
at the RGS-IBG, which is not mentioned by Gene Keyes on his site but has
been examined by Harry Steward; this runs from 15 August 1913 to January
1938. Also present is Cahill’s election to FRGS (April 1913) form with
note of his resignation therefrom in 1932. Sir Charles Close (ex-DG of
Ordnance Survey, etc.) in 1938 passed a letter to RGS Secretary, A.H.
Hinks FRS, writing that he would no longer discuss the matter (a
projection) with Cahill. A brief look at Cahill’s letters (in black,
red, blue, & purple ink; then typed with MS insertions) reveals, to the
undersigned, some striking similarities in character with the American
Rev. W.A.B. Coolidge FRGS (of Alpine geography, history, and climbing
fame): ‘touchy’, cynical, and – in spite of his (Cahill’s) British birth
– anti-British establishment.

Francis (‘the undersigned’) Herbert

your attention to my B.J.S. >Cahill Butterfly Map Resource Page, which
presents the world map designs and papers of Bernard J.S. >Cahill
(1866-1944), British-born architect and [neglected] cartographer.