Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1993 17:37:13 EST
[Crosslisted on GIS-L and MAPS-L.]

The interest in developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) has
caused some changes in the membership of the (U.S.) Federal Geographic Data
Committee (FGDC).  The committee now is chaired by the Honorable Bruce
Babbitt, the Secretary of the Interior.  Other departments and independent
agencies also recently changed their representation on the committee.

Secretary Babbitt presided over the December 1 committee meeting, in which a
major topic of discussion was the strategic plan for the NSDI.  The dates in
the plan now are being used to plan Federal activities over the next year.

The plan has been distributed at many public forums this year, and many
comments have been received and incorporated.  We invite those who have not
yet had an opportunity to review the plan to do so.  The plan is available by
anonymous file transfer protocol (FTP) from isdres.er.usgs.gov [130.11.48.2].
The file is strpln.doc in the gdc/documents directory.  Comments may be sent
to Internet address [log in to unmask]  We would appreciate receiving any
additional comments by December 31, 1993.

Michael A. Domaratz
FGDC Executive Secretary