From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:57:29 -0500
Subject:        Archiving GIS Databases
Date:   Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:55:38 -0500
From:   Youngblood, Dawn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     Gosnell, Joan <[log in to unmask]>, Cassingham, Scott Lee

MAPS-L Colleagues;

Look what we missed at the Society of American Archivists Meeting this
summer (besides the humidity) ….

The next SAA is in Chicago. If anyone attended the below, I would be
interested in hearing the highlights, and I am so glad to hear somebody
is devoting time, expertise, and energies into the issues and mechanisms
associated with long term archival preservation of GIS data,
particularly because I know that it has not been me. To those who are,
THANKS!

*/_Dawn Youngblood_/*

PhD, Anthropology / Archaeology

Curator, Edwin J. Foscue Map Library

Southern Methodist University

6425 North Ownby Drive

Box 750375

Dallas TX 75275-0375

214-768-2285

(Link at bottom if you are interested in the recorded session.)

*DC 2006 Program Session*

    103. “X” Marks the Spot: Archiving GIS Databases

Thursday, August 03, 2006
9:30 AM-11:00 AM
Jefferson East

Recorded session

Peter Bajcsy, Chair
/UIUC Automated Learning Group, National Center for Supercomputing
Applications/

Richard Marciano
/San Diego// Supercomputer Center/
“Research Issues Related to Preservation of Geospatial Electronic Records”

Helen Wong Smith
/Kamehameha Schools/
“Wahi Küpuna: Digitized Cultural Resources Database with GIS Access”

James Henderson
/Maine// State// Archives/
“Managing GIS in the Digital Archives”

This session highlights issues involved in developing and preserving
geospatial data. The largest private land owner in Hawaii, Kamehameha
Schools have implemented the Land Legacy Database to collect, index, and
disseminate the history and traditions of their lands, which support
their schools. The San Diego Supercomputer Center is working on
long-term preservation of geospatial data. The Maine State Archives
recently concluded a GeoArchives preservation and access project. The
speakers discuss the lessons learned at their institutions.

http://www.archivists.org/conference/dc2006/dc2006prog-Session.asp?event=1708