From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:53:10 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Contribute to the Registry of U.S. Government
Publication Digitization Projects
Date:   Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:25:12 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks go to Kathy for providing this important information about a GPO
digital project repository. Which brings up a thought/question: I am
aware of at least two other similar projects in the U.S., one sponsored
by WAML and one by MAGERT, and I think there is something similar going
on amongst the California universities too. Then there is one for the
United Kingdom that I remember seeing a notice on here awhile ago. So,
at least considering the United States offerings -- is it time to
consider merging these efforts into one big digital cartography projects
repository? This is an idea that was considered at last year's
CUAC-sponsored national meeting in Washington, D.C., and I know WAML
acted on it very quickly to everyone's benefit. I certainly am not
implying that anyone should let excellent work and effort go by the
boards here, only that if there is a national government agency willing
to host such an important "creature" that it appears to me an
opportunity has arisen.

At the same time the one "restriction" I see with this notification is
that GPO is accepting projects for their list that contain U.S.
government-based data, and maybe that is enough of a restriction to
maintain more than one such registry?

Sincerely,

Paige