From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:48:26 -0500
Subject: RE: Scanned map copyright question
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:09:18 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Rick describes the same understanding I have, and have been given by the
copyright experts at my library.  I try to explain to users of my map
collection that copying a map is essentially copying an entire work.
The 1923 watershed date is part of this understanding, as well.  And
this creates a particular problem in searching out copyright holders.
An item produced after 1923 can easily be 'out-of-print' but still 'in'
copyright.  Sometimes identifying current holders is a challenge.
Sometimes searches yield no results.

That the person intends, at the least, to create a database only adds to
the challenge, because it really is necessary to secure permissions if
possible.  This project is a long way from what is allowable under fair
use, as each map is being copied (digital counts as much as any other
reproduction), and as the entire body of maps is intended to be
retained, presumably to be shared with other users.  And admittedly, in
some cases to be reproduced in published articles.

The projects I've known of involve either reproducing items in the
public domain, or of a single work or body of work that makes the
copyright searching task more finite and simpler.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA