From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:52:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: "Natural borders"
Date:   Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:43:22 +0000
From:   Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Chris,

This is really one of those can of worms where the patron doesn't really
realize how many variations must be considered. In addition to the scale
issue (illustrated here by overlaying the ESRI supplied dtl_cntrys_ln
file on the Topographic basemap) is just the identification of what is a
natural boundary. I suppose in the patrons initial question she
indicates a natural boundary as a mountain range so this boundary
between Turkey and Iran may be considered natural to her. To me it is
still a pretty arbitrary line - following ridgelines where possible but
in other places cutting across valleys wherever convenient.

Looking past that, the method I would do (and tested out briefly was to
add the line version of the detailed country boundaries (I'm sure it is
on ArcGIS online, I just got it out of my ESRI data folder). I started
editing and just cut the lines where they transitioned from "natural" to
"unnatural". Then deleted the "unnatural" sections. The result is a
layer of just natural boundaries. Add a field to the table for length
and calculate the geometry. Here is another problem. Length cannot be
calculated (in ArcMap at least) on a Geographic Projection. It must be
projected, and depending on the projection the length changes slightly.

This next part works manually but I didn't attempt a model. Add the ESRI
dtl_cntry (this one is polygons), then add to it a new field for
Perimeter and do a Calculate Geometry operation to populate it. In this
example I then selected Turkey, then used a Select by Location to select
the lines from my Natural Boundaries layer that intersected Turkey. Then
use Selection -> Statistics and you can see the Sum of the line
segments. Use that with the Perimeter value to determine the % of the
total perimeter is natural vs. unnatural.

Perhaps it would be faster to use Joseph's manual method. I was just
trying to come up with a method that would result in a data set at the
end. Which reminds me - don't forget to record the percentage in another
new field on the polygon dtl_cntry layer. Then you could make a
choropleth map based on percentage of border that follows natural earth
features.

--
Dr. Mark Jackson
Brigham Young University

On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Angie Cope, American Geographical Society
Library, UW