From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:35:09 -0500
Subject:        Re: IFLA Workshop on Paper Maps] - response to Alice's queries
Date:   Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:04:59 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Alice,

David should jump in here and assist with your queries but I'll start
the ball rolling. Indeed, there are no times given in his announcement,
so he will need to provide this bit of information directly. I do know
that the location of the "workshop" will be at the Madison Building,
Library of Congress, but David will have to provide the specific room
(e.g., the Mumford Room). David McQuillan is leading this effort and I,
for one, appreciate his willingness to do the legwork involved to pull
this workshop off, for the benefit of many.

The primary difference is that this event is sponsored by IFLA and not
CUAC, but is being run in conjunction with CUAC's "Map and Geographic
Information Collections in Transition" conference in part because the
entire topic of the future of the paper map will be the first session
provided at the CUAC conference on the morning of May 12th and thus
David wanted to get as many map librarians/archivists/curators together
as possible to examine this topic in detail ahead of this part of the
CUAC meeting. From David's announcement, "The focus of this workshop
will be on the handling and future of paper maps in libraries and other
institutions. The goal is to develop an acceptable standard practice for
these major cartographic collections.
Findings from this workshop will be shared with participants at the
“Transition” conference on May 12."

David also specifically stated that if folks have any questions to
please contact him directly, so I'd advise anyone to take him up on this
offer.

Sincerely (and helpfully?),

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger