Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:08:11 -0500
Subject:        RE: Brazillian air photos
Date:   Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:36:52 +0100
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

As I'm not sure how much further folk have got(ten) on pinning down the
date-range of USAF photography and/or locating the current
repository/repositories of same I can conbtribute only a small quote
from the following hard copy source-

Inventory of world topographic mapping, vol.2 : South America, Central
America and Africa / compiled by Rolf Boehme ; English language editor
Roger Anson. - Barking (Essex) [i.e. London]; New York NY : Elsevier
Applied Science Publishers, 1991. - "Published on behalf of the
International Cartographic Association". - ISBN 1-85166-661-3. - Entry
'Brazil = Brasil' specifically on p.25 col.2: "An extensive programme of
aerial photography commenced in 1960 with the cooperation of the US Air
Force.  Generation of this new series [1:50K topo] within the National
Mapping Programme has, since 1969, been carried out by DSG, IBGE, SUDENE
and other federal bodies."

In the entry's attached 'Bibliography' is listed 'Annotated index of
aerial photographic coverage and mapping of topography and natural
resources' (Washington DC : Pan American Union 1965).  There are listed
also, of course, both UN's series of Regional Cartographic Conferences
and their published proceedings, and UN's (irregular?) blue
paper-covered series 'World Cartography'.  I merely surmise that one or
more of these sources would reveal more information as to who held what
aerial photography and how one (at that period) could access it.  At
least that would be a base-point from which to track down the material
and possible accessibility today . . .

Francis Herbert (a lowly Brit)