Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:51:26 -0600
------- Original Message --------
Subject:        RE: Free, open source map publishing tool - gdal2tiles
Date:   Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:38:10 -0800
From:   Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

> To return to the original objection, public libraries should be
> providing
> scans of maps etc in standard open image file formats (tiff/geotiff,
> .JPG,
> JP2, ECW) which people can already use and view, without the need for
> facility.
>
> --
> Nicholas J. Verge BSc. FGS
> Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, UK
>
> Geologist

Sorry this has got a little off topic.  I agree with you that Google Earth
is little more than a viewer and KML isn't intended for serious GIS
applications.  I'm comparing Google Earth to Zoomify, etc. and you're
comparing it to a full-featured GIS application.

A library or government agency trying to provide access to the general
public can't just put SHP, TIF, ECW, etc. files online because 99.9% of the
users will have no idea what to do with those files.  One way or another,
the data has to be converted to some other proprietary format such as KML,
Zoomify, LizardTech, etc to be of any use to the general public.  KML is
free and Google Earth is infinitely more useful than a browser plug-in.
Ideally, the library would also put their maps online in the native format
(TIF, SID, etc).

Also, Google Earth is simply one of many tools that can view and save KML.
It's not really fair to condemn all  use of KML because Google is a
commercial company.  Simply loading a KML file in Google Earth does not
force the user to view advertising.

Matt