From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:12:00 -0500
Subject: DMA map questions
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:57:35 -0500
From: Alexander, Claire L. <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I have several questions about DMA maps.

I am relatively new to the map room and the directions written up from
prior staff include handwritten or typed notes about DMA maps: One is
that Series 1501 may not be photocopied or checked out, but may be
photographed and/or traced.

I cannot find the original instructions. It would be nice to be able to
explain it to questioning patrons. Does anyone know a source where I can
read the original directive?

I am also wondering if such a restriction would ever be lifted, and if
so, how that information would be communicated.

The second directive is that superceded DMA maps are to be shredded. It
clearly applies to maps that say "Distribution Limited. Destroy when no
longer needed." But I wonder if it applies to other DMA maps not so
marked as well.

And I am wondering to what extent the shift from DMA to NIMA changes any
old directives.

You can answer me directly--if there is group interest I'll summarize
answers.

Thanks for your help.

Claire
Claire Alexander
Library Assistant, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Library
Purdue University Libraries EAS
504 West State Street
West Lafayette IN 47907-2058
Phone: 765-494-3264