From:
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:01:32 EDT
3 messages.----------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:22:40 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Island Counties

Some counties are entirely on an island but make up only part of it.
What comes to mind are the New York counties of Kings, Queens, Nassau, and
Suffolk on Long Island.

Mark Thomas                         | The train ... traditional,
Perkins Library, Duke University    |   yet environmentally sound
919-660-5850  /  FAX: 919-684-2855  |
[log in to unmask]                |              --Lisa Simpson

>Date: Fri, 25 Oct 96 16:37 CDT
>From: "Miriam Kerndt, Geography Lib." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: U.S. Island Counties

A technicality ?
Door County IS partly islandic, but the southern boundary is firmly
attached to the northern boundary of Kewaunee county, which requires no
water crossing for access.  Sturgeon Bay,being very watery, is in the middle
of the county.  It has islands off the northeast end of the peninsula.

Gets crowded, but an excellent vacation site.

Miriam Kerndt, Geography Library, 280 Science Hall, 550 N. Park,
   University of Wisconsin-Madison, 53706; Phone: 608-262-1706
   Email: [log in to unmask]

>Date:   Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:59:29 -1000
>From:   Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Island Counties

Greetings,
To clarify (and hopefully not complicate things too greatly), the City
and County of Honolulu includes the island of O'ahu and also the islets,
atolls and reefs of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (with the exception
of Midway Islands).  Kaua'i County includes the island of Kaua'i and
Ni'ihau.

As mentioned by John, Maui County consists of several major islands -
three to be exact - Maui, Lana'i and most of Moloka'i.  Kalawao County
lies on Moloka'i and is the home of a number of people, some with Hansen's
Disease.  As a side note, I believe that the appointed Director of the
State's Department of Health also becomes Mayor of Kalawao County as
part of his duties and responsibilities as Director.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi                                mmm...spam pate
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection           [log in to unmask]

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, John Long wrote:

> There appear to be a number of U.S. counties that consist entirely of islands:
>
> In Hawaii there are Hawaii, Honolulu, and Kauai.  Maui County consists of a
> number of whole islands and most of the island of Molokai; the remainder of
> Molokai is the small county of Kalawao (a leper colony).

  [other interesting stuff deleted]