From:
"Joyce A. Ryerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:40:57 EDT
A new addition will be added to our library.  The map room will be moving into
the new addition.  We are in the design phase of the interior spaces.   The
discussion now is whether the map room should have walls and be a secure area
that could be closed as it is now or totally open.  I will be sharing the
second floor with our multimedia section.  We have never allowed people to use
the room without assistance or get into the map cases.  We also have several
cases with pre-1900 maps dating back to the 1600's.  Our pre-1900 atlases will
become part of the room too.  Right now they are in a locked room.  I would be
very interested in your thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of walls or
no walls.  I will summarize the results for the list.  We now close at 4:30.
In the new addition we will be open until 12:30 at night with students in
charge.

Baker Lib rary
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH