From:
Blake Gumprecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1993 09:47:44 EDT
Anyone who believes Geographic Information Systems will replace maps is
as naive as the folks who think computers will replace books. GIS are
largely analytical and decision making tools. They are beyond the grasp
and needs of most map users. Mostly too they produce ugly maps. The
techno junkies would like us to believe that within a couple years we'll all
have geographic information systems in our cars. Don't believe it. And
I'm no technophobe. I recognize the importance of GIS -- I'm a graduate
student in geography, a librarian too and am currently taking a GIS
class -- but it's not the answer to every question.

Blake Gumprecht
Documents Librarian
Temple University
gumpbw@templevm