From:
"A. Cope" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:23:20 -0500
Subject:        Map Drawer Capacity
Date:   Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:25:44 -0700
From:   Jim Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Michael,

Last year we had a similar dilemma when we were given 57,000 7 1/2'
quads from the National Geographic Society. We had to totally reorganize
our map library and map storage space became very important. The numbers
given by the manufacturer are for high volume usage. We did not have
that luxury so we were forced to use the archive quantity per drawer
which is about double the amount. We can get 400 to 500 7 1/2' quads per
2 1/2" drawer of the 43" X 41 1/2" 5 drawer Hamilton/ Mayline map
cabinets. That's two 250 stacks per drawer. Keep in mind our high use
drawers have increased wear and tear because of the additional weight.

If  you need more info feel free to contact me.

Jim Johnson, Cartographer
Geography Department Map Library
Eastern Washington University