From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:49:38 -0600
Subject:        Re: policy on photographing or scanning maps
Date:   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:27:38 -0800 (PST)
From:   Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Barbara Levergood <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

Hi Barbara,

We allow both in our library, but do this differently depending upon the
patron. If it is a Stanford-affiliated person, they can use any of the
scanners in our library to scan what they want. We have copyright signs
by every scanner alerting them that it is their responsibility to
understand the copyright status of what they intend to scan. We have a
strict policy here that we as librarians are not legally trained to
interpret copyright and fair use. The onus is on the patron. We do let
them photograph what they want.

If they are a non-Stanford person and want to scan something, they can
use three small public scanners on the 1st floor. The large format
feedthrough scanner is only available to Stanford patrons. We have to
teach the SU people how to use the scanner and then they can do it
themselves. We do not have the staff to spend time with the non-SU
patrons for the large scanner. Hence, the non-SU patrons are allowed to
photograph what they want without charge.

By the way, we are not allowed to collection money in this branch. Only
Special Collections is allowed to be a "service unit" and charge fees.
They are in the main Green Library on campus.

I'd be happy to talk to you more over the phone about this.

Julie

***
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Assistant Director of Geospatial, Cartographic and Scientific Data &
Services
Head Librarian, Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)725-1102