From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:34:40 -0500
Subject: RE: table G4362
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:31:08 -0600
From: Christopher Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Jon,

Very true--no cutters for N & S California.

I have always been under the belief that there are no cutters for N, S,
E, W, NE, etc. of the states because those boundaries cannot be defined.
  Much like the definition of the Midwest.

Libraries have used cutters for N, S, etc., but you have to be careful.
  If you use ".S6" for "Southern California" you are stomping on the
official LC cutter list--"S6" is for Six Rivers National Forest, "N6" is
unassigned.  Probably have to use "S738" for "southern California," but
that is handful of a cutter.

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/GCutters.pdf

The Cutter table has many omissions, but it works.

But then again, LOCAL RULES APPLY.  If you have a local practice, then
use that.  So locally, do what you want, but in OCLC, etc. please use
the standardized cutters.

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines