From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:07:55 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Scott R McEathron" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:36:53 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: RE:      A New Generation of USGS Maps

Colleagues,

Kansas is the first state to have the new US Topo coverage-- which are different from the Digital Map--Beta (and for that matter the former standard 7.5 min. Topographic Quadrangles).  There are advantages and drawbacks to the new "generation"  of maps.

Positives are the flexibility of digital media files (the ability to turn layers off/on, etc.), the plan to update every three years, and the plan to include "historic topographic maps" ( a term that now refers to all USGS topographic maps published before 2009 I guess).  I think the plan to include the historic topographic maps is great but will probably go nowhere without a cooperative effort.  Currently, I do not think there is even a comprehensive listing of ALL topographic maps of California.  I will stand on a table and sing the Minnesota Rouser at the next MAGERT reception if all the historic topographic maps are scanned within the next year (I think it will be years, perhaps decades, before they are all scanned).

Negatives are that the new maps do not yet have all the information that the old ones had (county/state boundaries, some hydrographic features, land use/land cover, and PLSS).   Not printing and distributing is a cost savings for the agency no doubt.  However, there is a loss of some sort of its most enduring and publicly recognizable product: the 7.5 min. quadrangle sheet.  Perhaps also a congruent loss of public awareness and partners through the U.S. depository system.   The outcomes of these decisions is unknown.

Overall, it was probably for the best.  But there are risks...

Best wishes,

Scott R. McEathron
KU Libraries