From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:06:39 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:20:26 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mississippi River navigation atlases
Sender: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

How can a patron get hold of the navigation atlases that the Army
Corps of Engineers makes for the Mississippi River?  These may not be
depository any more, or they may have been privatized.  Does any
vendor out there have info?

Does anyone know of any commercial guide books for anyone brave(?)
enough to travel in an unpowered boat on the Mississippi, like Huck
Finn.  Sounds romantic, but I don't know about those barges.  Is it
even legal?  The older Corps atlases we have do have warnings for
"small craft," especially near locks and dams in the upper part of
the river.  And, in the summer, the drinking water and sunburn
problems might be something to reckon with.

It seems that there is a recent record in OCLC of an atlas for
below Hannibal, MO (not in MARCIVE):

---------------------------------------
1998 flood control and navigation maps, Mississippi River: below
Hannibal, Missouri to the Gulf of Mexico. (atlas; seems to be updated
very regularly, because this is called the 61st edition; 1:31,680) By
the Mississippi Valley Division of the Corps.
D 103.49/3:M 69/3/998

I didn't see a record of a currrently produced series that covers
the river above Hannibal.  The following two seem to be companions to
each other that are no longer published, covering south and north of
Cairo, IL (as opposed to Hannibal):

2. 1994 flood control and navigation maps of the Mississippi River:
Cairo, Illinois to the Gulf of Mexico. (atlas, 1:62,500). By the
Lower Mississippi Valley Division of the Corps, which I think has
been supplanted by the Division mentioned above. (GPO seems to
consider the above atlas just a continuation of this one, based on
the SuDoc number.)
D 103.49/3:M 69/3

3. Upper Mississippi River Navigation Charts.  We have a 1989 edition
of this atlas. Produced by the Corp's Rock Island, IL, District.  It
covers the area *north* of Cairo, so I guess it was a companion to
the atlas listed above.  1:36,000
D 103.66/3:Up6/989

I looked at the Corp's web site (www.usace.army.mil) but couldn't
find anything about these atlases.  I also looked at the Park Service
web site (www.nps.gov), but couldn't find anything about navigation.

thanks,
        Mark
Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson
--- End Forwarded Message ---