From:
"Maps-L Moderator for David J. Bertuca" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:29:36 -0600
Subject:        Re: Nauru and the G schedule?
Date:   Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:25:53 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I did the same thing that Paige did and his comments are correct (though
maybe the island suffered a loss at the printer's--it is very small). We
stopped using the print version as a primary source after G came online. If
you are stuck with the print editions though, it is correct to stick with
the number that was used before.

After all, when countries and regions change names or shapes, the LC
numbers don't change (except if they need to break the number down for a
really fragmented territory split). The G schedule was really quite
well-thought out. If you look at Yugoslavia and the Balkins, they already
HAD created numbers for many of the smaller pre-Yugo days boundaries. When
these places re-emerged into their own nations, the numbers were already in
place.

That is one of reasons why I enjoy cataloging maps over most other formats
:>

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672

716-645-2947 x229

--On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:40 PM -0600 Maps-L Moderator for Paige