From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 15:53:08 -0400
Three messages below on this topic.  Moderator

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMessage 1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Frances,

Although there is a rule about using square brackets for a derived title in
AACR2, Rule 1.1B7 (and in the referring rule, Rule 3.1B4, it goes on to
specify that for cartographic materials the cataloger should make sure to
include a geographic place as part of the supplied title), there isn't a
rule for also putting a 500 note in the record saying that the title was
created by the cataloger. That said, it is cataloging practice to include a
500 note that says something like "Title supplied by cataloger" just to be
explicit about the fact that there is no title on the item and you had to
make one for it. I noted the first 500 note in your record, "Title created
by library", which means the same thing basically, but in reality it was
the cataloger that created the title, not the institution he/she works for.
Give yourself some credit here!

In the 255 field change the semi-colon to a period and if you like you can
abbreviate "inch" to "in."

The 052's you have supplied are for the state as a whole, this map is for
what is present-day Brunswick, Maine? Therefore, the first geographic class
number/geographic cutter for Brunswick, Maine should be given, and that is:

3734 |b B9

and then since you do have subject headings for Maine as a whole you can
leave in the 3731 and 3730.

A couple of other things I noticed in reviewing the MARC form of your record:

A. The subject subdivision "Early works to 1800" is considered a form/genre
term and thus should be given the subfield designation of "v" and not "y"
(or is my eyesite that bad and these are actually "v"'s? Could be my mistake)

B. I'm mystified by the second indicator value in the 610 field, "7" means
that you also must put in the subject string a $2 and the source code
involved. Either you meant to do that or you need to change the second
indicator value to perhaps a "0" if this is a Library of Congress (LCSH)
heading?

C. "Pejepscot Land Claim" subject heading--I didn't find this heading in
the authority records or LCSH so I think that your second indicator needs
to be changed to either a "4" for "Source not specified" or a "7" for
"Source is specified in subfield ‡2" in which case you would have to add
the $2 into the field and give the source code involved.

D. Delete the period in the 043 field.

Hope this helps!

Paige
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Message 2 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mark Crotteau
Albertsons Library
Boise State University
Boise, ID  <[log in to unmask]>

changes you suggested.  Of course, we beg your help again to look it over
and suggest anything.

title?

The note usually reads: Title supplied by cataloger.

The scale information in 255 is all in subfield a.  Unless the map specifically states the scale the statement should read: Scale [ca. 1:18,540].

I would use 3731 in the 052, because this is a topical map.  If you check the table for subject subdivisions (Table G1) you will see that cadastral maps are assigned the cutter .G46, so if you were classifying this map in LC you would use G3731.G46.  The 052 should be based on this call number.

Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Message 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Frances Pollitt asked for feedback regarding a cataloging record she
created.  She particulary asked about the scale statement and the 052 field
on the MARC record.  The format used to record the scale is fine. However,
there should be a period rather than a semicolon separating the
representative fraction scale from the alternative scale statement expressed
as rods.  Also, if the representative fraction scale is not explicitly
stated on the map, but was rather computed by the cataloger, it should go in
brackets.

Regarding the 052, I don't think you need both the 3730 and 3731.  Just the
first will do.  If your subject is broken down into a physical feature or
administrative region, you would use 3732 (physical feature), 3733 (county),
or 3734 (city), then, in a subfield marked delimiter b, use the cutter for
the particular feature, county, or city.

Brian Falato
Serials/Maps Cataloger
University of South Florida
Tampa Campus Library