From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:14:13 -0500
Subject: Request for Information - Future of USDA Soil Surveys?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:10:02 -0800
From: Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello,

In light of the recent discussions about what and how much will be received
by libraries through the FDLP program, the question has been raised here
about what the future is for paper copies of the USDA Soil Surveys.

I know that the NRCS is beginning to make digitized versions of the soil
surveys available online and make GIS data available.  Has anyone heard if
they are considering ceasing publishing paper soil surveys?  Will we still
be receiving paper surveys through the Federal Depository Program?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who may have some information.

Thanks,

Kathy Stroud, Map/GIS Librarian
Government Information and Maps
Peter J. Shields Library