From:
Maps-L Moderator for Doug Behm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:26:07 -0500
Subject:        RE: Speaking of potential toxins . . . Nautical Charts?
Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:10:56 -0500
From:   Doug Behm <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

As formaldehyde is a VOC, I would think that it dissipate fairly rapidly. The problem with formaldehyde in wood paneling is that it is emitted from the binders in the plywood making it available to be inhaled.

In the handbook of occupational dermatology is says that formaldehyde are used in paper to improve wet strength, shrink resistance and other characteristics of paper. It is used as a preservative in paper manufacture and in the preparation of finishes, sizing agents and parchment paper. Paper towels may contain melamine-formaldehyde to increase resistance to water and paper money to increase mildew resistance. Wrapping paper, newspapers and other papers may cause dermatitis from presence of free formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is also part of the fixing process in printing of T-shirts.

Douglas D. Behm, P.G.                      [log in to unmask]
University Geologist
Office of Land Management and Real Estate Services
University of Alabama