From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:39:00 -0400
Subject: Outdoor 3-D mapping
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:00:26 -0700
From: Steve Mullin <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Johnnie,

If you have a good memory you may recall my involvement with the map
library community some years back.  I worked at the UC Berkeley Map
Library for a number of years and then imported Mexican mapping for a
good long time.  I still monitor Maps-L out of some nostalgia for
those days.  Many of the people I knew are still stalwarts of this
vital community of mapping professionals, most notably yourself!

I have a question that may be suitable for posting on Maps-L.   I
have been working of many years now at a science museum called the
Lawrence Hall of Science.  One of our best features is the 180 degree
view of San Francisco Bay and surrounding land masses from our site
1100 feet above the Berkeley campus.  We just recently opened phase
one of a new outdoor exhibit called "Forces That Shape the Bay" that
seeks to explain and interpret the natural history of that fantastic
view.  Phase two starts next year.  It's centerpiece will be a 30' x
30' raised relief map of the Bay area, designed to be walked on and
through.  The relief map will be a teaching tool for our k-12
education programs and a dramatic attention-getter for museum
visitors.  We are now pondering all of the design issues that go into
making a durable, attractive, safe, and geographically accurate
relief model that can withstand the weather and elements and all
those school kids.

I would like to contact other institutions who have built similar
outdoor relief models.  If any Maps-L subscribers know of any, please
let me know.  If you have ideas on materials or operational issues I
would love to hear them.

And an open invitation to Maps-L people:  stop by if you are in the
area and ask for me. I' d be happy to show you around.  And maybe
renew old friendships at the same time.

Steve Mullin

--
Steve Mullin