From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:58:56 -0600
Subject:        Maps of jordan
Date:   Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:35:35 +0200
From:   Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Just back from a trip to Jordan:

A new 2005 version of "Map of Petra", produced by the Royal Jordanian
Geographical Survey is available. I got mine in the Petra entry
gate/souvenir shop. It is also available in other private souvenir
shops that dot the entry village of Wadi Musa and the stalls in Petra
istelf. Mine cost 3JDR (this is about Australian $6).
he map says : "distributed by tel: 079-5-542905"
It is a topographic map in colour showing the monuments and terrain
of Petra, including trails, stairs, hydrology etc. Given the
complexity of the terain there are contours in open areas and lots of
cliff symbols elsewhere! spot heights are given and names in arabic
and english.
Scale is not given, but from the Jordanian grid numbers at the
corners, it appears to be abotu 1:10,000. I haven't worked it out exactly.

The rear has black and white, unscaled (but gridded) maps of Wadi
Musa (25k?) and Al Bayda (Little Petra) (25k again?)

apart from the lack of scale, and excellent map.

I also picked up an "Al Aqaba tourist map" by the Royal Jordanian
Geographic Centre", scale given as  1:10,000
this is a straight streetmap, clean and clear, with names in arabic
and english, and govt buildings indexed. hotels, mosques etc also shown
I got mine for 2JDR at a bookshop in th Jordanian customs area of the
border crossing to Israel.
Dated (in arabic only) 2003. features an enlargement of a plan of the
ancient Aqaba fort showing remaining walls and reconstructions/inferred walls.

I guess the RJGS can be contacted via the addreses in Parry and
Perkins "World Mapping otday"
or try
Royal Jordanian Geographical Centre,
P.0. Box 20214, Amman - 11118, Jordan
Phone: 962-6-845188
Fax: 962-6-847694
or see if there is any info on Oddens' website.

Dr Brendan Whyte
Geography Department
Faculty of Social Sciences
Hebrew University of Jerusalem