From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:20:41 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Univ of TN Digital Maps Project - TN Out-of-Print Topo Quads
Date:   Tues, 29 Nov 2005
From:   gmarch <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello,

My name is Gregory March and I am a Graduate Research Assistant in the College
of Information Sciences here at the University of Tennessee. As part of a
team, I am presently involved in a project to digitize the 7.5 minute
out-of-print topographic maps of Tennessee. The University of Tennessee Map
Library,in collaboration with the Digital Library Center, has scanned 7.5
minute out-of-print topographic quadrangles of Knox County, Tennessee.
Currently, out-of-print topographic quadrangle maps located in Union,
Grainger, Jefferson, Sevier, Blount, Loudon, Roane, and Anderson counties have
also been scanned. These maps will be made available via the web in the near
future. Additionally, future plans include digitizing additional counties, and
geo-referencing these topographic maps while making them available for
download. I have received favorable feedback from the Archaeology,
Anthropology, Geography, and Geology academic communities, but would like to
know what other professional communities feel about the digitization of these
maps. Would a project like this be useful for teaching and research in other
areas of professional study? Also, could these maps be beneficial for anyone
conducting geneological research, people looking to purchase land, and for
recreational purposes?  I would greatly appreciate your input.

Presently, the University of Tennessee is experimenting with different access
and delivery technologies such as different interfaces and plugins (Zoomview
and JPEG2000)in order to make these maps as user friendly as possible to the
public.  Your input will help to improve on these interfaces that the
University of Tennessee Libraries are experimenting with. I look forward to
hearing your comments and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Gregory March

-