From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Cobb
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:49:46 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:38:44 -0400
From: "David A. Cobb" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Map Pricing
Sender: "David A. Cobb" <[log in to unmask]>

Folks -

This is probably the worst time to bring this subject up - after the major
U.S. library meetings but ...

Has anyone else noticed the spiraling pricing for maps in general but
specifically for national topographic sets. We are often offered and see
advertising for such maps and what seemed to be an average of $4-6 only a
few years ago has suddenly increased to $30-40! Such pricing is beginning
to "out-inflate" the rare map market. Often, and in fact in some very
strange cases, these are the exact same maps that were offered for $4-6
several years ago - meaning they are from the 70's and 80's and have not
been updated.

I have no intention of naming dealers because it is unfortunately becoming
endemic. Quite frankly, it "may" not be the dealers fault but it does seem
as though we have introduced a new set of middlepersons? What worries me is
that IF I purchase these sets just how much am I contributing to the
inflation and encouraging dealers to continue to spiral up the price and
further away from the average map collection.

I am not encouraging any kind of a flame session, and I would urge everyone
to avoid individual dealers, but I would like to hear from other
colleagues. Our choice may be one of the "Dutch serials:" buy them or
cancel them! Maybe more of us should be thinking that NIMA's TPC's aren't
that bad after all!

David Cobb
David A. Cobb                                   E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Harvard Map Collection                          HTTP://icg.harvard.edu/~maps
Harvard University                              Tel: (617) 495-2417
Cambridge, MA 02138                             FAX: (617) 496-0440
                           VE * RI * TAS
--- End Forwarded Message ---