Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:46:04 -0500
Subject:        Google Map mashup as air photo index
Date:   Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:17:52 -0400
From:   Cathy Moulder <[log in to unmask]>

Good morning colleagues

McMaster University Library's Map Collection has now replaced dozens of
paper indexes to Hamilton area aerial photography with a cool new
Google Map mashup index. A mashup is a kind of hybrid web application
that combines information from multiple sources. In this case, the
index mashup combines a Google Map base (with zoom/pan and satellite
image background capability) and markers representing each one of the
5,000 air photos in our local collection.

The Aerial Photograph index is available at
http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airphotos/Home.htm

This index allows researchers to discover the coverage of our Hamilton
area air photo collection very quickly. Remote users can easily confirm
whether it is worth visiting the Library to see the photographs in
person and can arrive with their reference numbers in hand. Plus we
anticipate saving HOURS of time refiling the really annoying paper
indexes! Hurray for that.

Cathy
Cathy Moulder, GISP
Curator, Lloyd Reeds Map Collection