From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:58:09 -0600
Subject:        raised relief maps
Date:   Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:56:33 -0500
From:   Robert Dalton <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

The maps collection that reports to me has a rather eclectic collection of
raised relief maps.  They are generally from the 1940s - 1960s and cover
parts of Europe, Japan, Korea, Southeast U.S., and Northeast U.S.

As best that I can determine, these are AMS Series 1301P, 1302P, L506P, and
L552P, and DMA Series V501P.

Except for one time recently, I don't believe anyone has asked specifically
for these in recent years.  Our collection policy does not specify that we
have them, and further, some are in poor physical condition.

I am interested in any thoughts any of you have about the wisdom of
retaining these.  If you have such materials, are they used in your
locations?  How much and for what purposes?  By whom, if you know that?  If
you had some and discarded them, what was your rationale?  If you have
retained any or all that you had once, what was your rationale?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Robert S. Dalton
Reference Librarian and Assistant Head
Reference Dept., Davis Library
CB# 3922, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890
Phone:  919-962-1151
Fax:  919-962-5537
Email: [log in to unmask]