From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:13:49 -0400
Subject: Re: 534 Field
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:57:16 -0700
From: Mary Lynette Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

What I would do is catalog the original,
and place in a local note the statement
that my library lacked original map
and instead had only a copy of whatever kind.

That way, if I were using someone else's
catalog record, I would be making
minimal changes to the catalog record - important from
the point of saving cataloging time.
If I were doing original cataloging
and I'd ILLed the item in order to
have the original to make a copy of,
then I'd have the original map to
deal with. In that way, I would be
creating the kind of record that is
most useful to other catalogers, which
if I described the one-off copy my
library made in the record, that
would not be the case.

Mary

Mary

Quoting "Johnnie D. Sutherland" <[log in to unmask]>:

> [...]

Mary Lynette Larsgaard
Assistant Head, Map and Imagery Laboratory
Fund Manager: Geography; Military Science
Co-Manager for Map and Imagery Laboratory Fund
Davidson Library
University of California
Santa Barbara CA 93106
805/893-4049