From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:57:17 -0500
Subject: map library endowments
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:47:00 -0800
From: Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi,

The Huxley Map Library at Western Washington University is one of a few
collections in the U.S. still affiliated with an academic unit and not
part of the main library.

I am in the process of establishing a permanent Endowment Fund for the
Map Library, ($20k minimum) primarily funded by our loyal Geography alums.

Linda Newman at Univ. of Nevada Reno has kindly suggested that I add
criteria that addresses the responsibility for the fund if (heaven
forbid!) my position were eliminated or if the Map Library were to end
up in the Main Library.  Great advice!

Do any of you have other suggestions or experience with endowments? In
general...or specifically...suggestions for defining the purpose of the
funds; ie...acquisitions, student assistants, etc...

With appreciation for any assistance,

Cheers,
Janet Collins
Map Librarian