From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:57:26 -0500
Subject:        request for help with flooding radar image processing
Date:   Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:23:48 -0500
From:   Sam Batzli <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps-L

All,

The current Midwest flooding disaster in Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana,
Michigan and elsewhere is prompting a need for satellite remote sensing
for extent and damage mapping.  Current and persistent cloud cover is
making optical sensors ineffective.  By invoking the "International
Charter" (that removes access barriers to military and foreign sources
of imagery and data during emergencies) Wisconsin Emergency Management
is requesting before/after radar and possibly high-resolution optical
data of Southern Wisconsin.  I believe Indiana emergency managers are
doing the same for Indiana.

I am seeking individuals with expertise in processing radar data for GIS
applications that would be willing and able to help.  If you would like
to take a shot at processing the data to produce polygon (shapefile) or
raster (GeoTIFF-like)  output of inundated areas, let me know, and I
will send you links to posted data sets if/when they become availalbe.
Right now I just need to know who can help.

Thank you!

(sorry for cross postings -- I'm blind copying several
AmericaView, WisconsinView, and UW-Madison lists with this note)

Dr. Sam Batzli, WisconsinView Director
Environmental Remote Sensing
Space Science & Engineering Center
1225 W Dayton ST,  RM 1215