From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:20:44 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date:Wed, 27 Apr 2005
From: Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: full USGS topo set for US to give away

Hello Mappers,

I talked to Matt Heller at the SF office of National Geographic yesterday.
He's got a complete set of USGS topos to give away.  If you are interested,
get in touch with him directly.  YES, he has been in touch with the
University of Hawaii folks!

Julie

**

National Geographic maps is closing it's San Francisco office and moving its
operations to Evergreen, Colorado.  Over the last 5 years National
Geographic had aquired a complete set of USGS maps to assist with its
digital map production. Now that the maps have been stored in a digital
database, the paper copies are not used.

The high level details: the collection includes at least one of each of the
approx 55,000 quads that make up the 7.5' topographic series.  We believe
the collection to be current as of 12/04.  They are stored flat in boxes,
organized by state. We have them stored in approx 200-250 boxes on two
storage racks. Each rack is approx 8' tall by 3.5' wide by 4 feet deep. We
would include the racks with the collection if they were needed. We are
looking to donate the maps and all we ask is that the receiving
party pays for and makes arrangements for the shipping.   Our preference
would to have someone accept the whole set.  We will send complete states
if the first doesn't happen.

We hope to find a home for them. My contact info is:

Matthew Heller
National Geographic Maps Technology Group
P 415.558.8700 x 100
E [log in to unmask]

Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Head Librarian, GIS & Map Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
650-725-1102